FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 30, 2016
ADVISORY: House to Hold Agency Budget Hearings in House Chamber
OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma House of Representatives will begin holding public hearings to review the five largest appropriated state agencies’ budgets next week at the state Capitol.
Those five agencies received $5.36 billion – or 77 percent – of the $6.91 billion FY – 2017 appropriated budget.
House Speaker Charles-elect A. McCall said the hearings will give citizens and lawmakers – particularly the 32 new members of the House – valuable insight into how agencies develop programs and spend taxpayer dollars and will help lawmakers develop funding priorities earlier than usual.
The hearings will be a departure from previous agency budget hearings, in that all 101 members of the House are invited to attend and participate. The hearings will be held in the House Chamber, and the public is encouraged to attend and watch the proceedings from the Chamber gallery.
Meeting notices for the hearings can be found at www.okhouse.gov.
The schedule for the hearings will be as follows:
- Wednesday, January 4, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m. (House Chamber, State Capitol)
- Oklahoma Department of Education
- Thursday, January 5, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m. (House Chamber, State Capitol)
- Oklahoma Department of Transportation
- Friday, January 6, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m. (House Chamber, State Capitol)
- Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
- Monday, January 9, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m. (House Chamber, State Capitol)
- Oklahoma Department of Human Services
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m. (House Chamber, State Capitol)
- Oklahoma Health Care Authority